There’s a familiar face beneath the floorboards
The beginning of June is
a prologue to
an annual funeral,
because on the 26th a
yearly eulogy is given
in honor of a boy still alive
boy, not man, since
he never aged past six
and I am still three,
It’s November now
and we are standing over
the warm body in
our living room wondering
what we might have done
wrong, and what we could
do with the face melting
into our carpet, what
we could do with
the dying light sinking
into our floor
The beginning of June is
a prologue to
an annual funeral,
because on the 26th a
yearly eulogy is given
in honor of a boy still alive
boy, not man, since
he never aged past six
and I am still three,
It’s November now
and we are standing over
the warm body in
our living room wondering
what we might have done
wrong, and what we could
do with the face melting
into our carpet, what
we could do with
the dying light sinking
into our floor
the imprint in the shag
Is something we tend to find
in our own faces,
in my nose and in the
back of my brother’s eyes,
in the ginger of his beard
and around the protrusion
of my chin,
so i stand very still
and i try to look away,
because I’m afraid of
Staring static in the
face, I’m afraid of feeling
the cold of something so
motionless,
Is something we tend to find
in our own faces,
in my nose and in the
back of my brother’s eyes,
in the ginger of his beard
and around the protrusion
of my chin,
so i stand very still
and i try to look away,
because I’m afraid of
Staring static in the
face, I’m afraid of feeling
the cold of something so
motionless,
but I’ll try and
reach out and
take his hand
if I’m able,
I’ll walk him to
the bus stop to
wait for the
greyhound that’ll
take him to
now, to today,
and i’ll only hope
he’ll board.
reach out and
take his hand
if I’m able,
I’ll walk him to
the bus stop to
wait for the
greyhound that’ll
take him to
now, to today,
and i’ll only hope
he’ll board.
#deaddadsclub
ReplyDeleteyour poetry hits man i feel like im 12 again wondering what went wrong
ReplyDelete